Sunday, February 12, 2023

To Be the Last

 



You’ve probably heard people say “I want to be your last first kiss”.

But what if you were someone’s last first kiss and that kiss was also their last kiss? What if you were the person to share someone’s last meal, their last conversation? Is this starting to sound ominous with a touch of sadness?

Well I had what I now consider the double edged sword privilege of being just this person. It’s an event that I now class as the biggest single most pivotal moment in my life. Sure, the birth of my children were big moments, but their lives have stretched into years (which I know I’m fortunate to have as not everyone gets that). However in a short moment I had a very special person taken out of my life permanently.

I had started dating a lovely man. We clicked from very early on and in the space of a few weeks we enjoyed long daily phone calls and multiple texts every day and 3 dates. On our third date, which was approx. 6 and ½ hrs we morphed the afternoon into coffee and then dinner. He walked me back to my car that evening and we said good bye, already having made plans for a dinner date in a few days and then for a day trip on the upcoming weekend. He kissed me good bye as he leaned into my car. It was an awkward angle. But was pretty exciting. He told me he’d been wanting to do that for a long time and now he felt like a teenager. Ten minutes later he was killed instantly in a motorbike accident.

My journey in the past few months since that moment has been hard, however I am starting to feel much better and can look at it with clearer vision and gratitude. I am grateful to have met him. He truly was incredible. No doubt, had we continued our journey together we would have found out annoying habits about each other. I am grateful that he picked me on the dating app and went the extra step to pay for a special Like to alert me. I am grateful that we had such amazing conversations, including a 4 hr phone call till 1am, filled with laughter and covering so many subjects. I am grateful that we were so comfortable talking together, that we shared the same dry humor, that we loved similar food, that we had similar values in life, that we laughed often. I feel honored that after he’d experienced some bad past relationships and multiple dates trying to find the right person we’d now connected and we both knew it was right. I am grateful to have experienced his joy for life, which matched and inspired mine.

I also am thankful for what he got to experience. I feel grateful that he got to have some amazing family time. That was the reason on a couple of occasions why we decided not to go out together, because things had popped up with his family and due to the distance that usually separated them, he wanted to spend time with them. I was happy for that. Family is important and we knew we’d see each other on another day. He truly enjoyed his last meal. He was a qualified chef and said he really liked it because it tasted better than how he would have cooked it. I’m grateful for what that 4 hr phone call meant to him. He said that he’d never had a call that long and had never previously wanted to speak to someone for that long on the phone.

Of course my heart breaks for his family- for his parents, his young adult children and all the missed opportunities for everyone.

As my head clears and I move forward and look forward, I know that I will never forget him till my last breath. My joy for life is starting to return. I am excited for the future. Seeing a life cut short has inspired me to do some things that I’d put on the back burner and make the extra effort instead of telling myself I’ll get around to it.

I had a lovely uncle who would often say that there is no such thing as a soul mate, because you will meet several people in your life whom you can be very happy with. I believe my uncle was correct and this wonderful man was one of a few special men I have met in my life. Sadly our story ended too soon, but there will be more.

He was a gift to me for a short blink in my life and I am absolutely grateful to have had the honor of being his last.

No comments:

Post a Comment